Minutes 2019

Hoover Alumni Organization

Minutes of the meeting held Thursday, March 14, 2019

Call to order: Meeting called to order at 10:03 a.m.

Members Present:  Steve Barclay, Chairman; Nancy Nordell, Vice-Chair; Glynnis Aguirre, Secretary; Margie Boyd; Marcia Kern; Monica Belandres-Root; Lil Baehr; John Adkins; Lois Draper; Larry Hall; Chuck Diepholz; Koala Balderas, guest.

Chairman’s Report:  1) Steve reported that he spoke with Vicky Fox, with Cox Charities, regarding applying for their scholarship program.  The application period is closed for 2019, but we will apply next year.  Steve plans to speak with her to discuss other programs.  2) Class of 1949 reunion will be October 3rd at the Bali Hai, possibly combined with classes of ’48 and ’50.  Class of’47 may be involved also. Discussion held.   3)  Steve will be attending four reunions; Marcia will attend c/o ’69 reunion September   27 & 28.    4)  Steve attended a meeting with SDUSD regarding construction update.  There are two new projects included:  the new front buildings will have hallways lined with display cabinets (possibly for trophies), and the front portion of the library (near Highland) will become the Hoover Museum and will belong to and be overseen by the Alumni Organization.  We have some major projects in 2020.

Minutes:  John moved that the minutes of the last meeting held February 14, 2019 be approved as written; Chuck seconded the motion.  All in favor, the motion passed.

Scholarship Report:  1) Larry reported that seven of the 22 scholarships we gave out last year went unclaimed.  This was the same percentage unclaimed for all other scholarships given out.  This year we will require proof of FAFSA submission and proof of acceptance or pending application for school in order to apply for scholarships.  2) Discussion regarding adding the seven unclaimed scholarships from 2018 to the 2019 scholarship total.  Also discussed how/when students attending community college will claim their scholarships, possibly over two years, but must use half in first year.  Discussed increasing University scholarship amount to $1500, minimum.  The four named scholarships may increase to $2,000.  Lois suggested doing the interviews first, and then making a decision on distribution amounts.  4)  Lois reminded us that interviews will be held April 29 & 30 at 8:00 a.m. in Room 402.  Awards Night is May 30th.

Newsletter:  Margie brought a mock-up of the newsletter.  She will send full 12-page newsletter via email to editors/proofers.  Discussion.  Margie needs feedback by this Sunday.

Website:  1) Margie is still working on security and encryption.  Discussion.  Cost for security is $600/year.

2)  Discussion held regarding procedures for 501(c)(3) tax deductibility for donations, membership, etc.        3) Glynnis mentioned there were some out-of-date items still on the website.  Discussion.  Margie will ask submitter for end-posting date so she will know when to remove.

Membership Report:  Marcia reported we gained five renewals and one new annual member.  She will send Steve the numbers for newsletter printing.

Walk of Champions / Merchandise sales:  1) John reported we have plenty of merchandise on hand.          2)  No brick installations have been done, due to weather.  We have six waiting to be installed.  He suggested having a sample brick made to take to reunions for display.  3)  He will start auditorium seat sales once the weather improves.  We have 40 on hand.  4)  He will send Margie new photos of bricks and construction to update website.  He and Eric took photos.

Class POC Liaison:  1) Chuck reported he got an additional contact for c/o ’56.  2) He will send email to POCs for upcoming events.

Golf Tournament:   1) Monica reported that the golf committee would be holding a meeting today at Admiral Baker following the Board meeting.  2) She is looking into online payments through golf websites.  She will go through the Foundation to connect Foundation PayPal account to the golf website.  Discussion.

New Business:Koala Balderas (c/o 2016) joined us today.  He came to explain a program he started called Koala’s Mobile Recycling, which supports inner-city high school students with learning disabilities.  Through his recycling program, he raises money to help these special education students pay for items that they normally might not be able to afford, i.e., senior photos, prom tickets, yearbooks, grad night tickets, caps and gowns, and food during weekly club meetings.  Koala’s Mobile Recycling is partnered with Y.E.S. (Young Entrepreneur Society), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all recyclable donations are tax deductible.

Koala is working on bringing a recycling program to the Hoover campus.  He will be attending board meetings, and members can bring their recyclables to him then.

Next Meeting:  Next meeting will be held April 11, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.

Adjournment:  Meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

——————————————————————————————————————–

Hoover Alumni Organization

Minutes of the meeting held Thursday, February 14, 2019

Call to order: Meeting called to order at 10:14 a.m.

Members Present:  Steve Barclay, Chairman; Glynnis Aguirre, Secretary; Margie Boyd; Marcia Kern; Monica Belandres-Root; Lil Baehr; John Adkins; Eric Wong; Carol Jensen; Zac Shapiro, faculty guest; Yadira Calderon, student guest.

Zachary Shapiro, Varsity Football Coach:  We welcomed our new football coach, Zac Shapiro to the meeting.  Zac is in his second week at Hoover.  He grew up in Claremont, CA; played football at University of Nevada, Reno and SDSU, and also played rugby.  He coached at Hoover in 2013-14, then SDSU for 3 years, then at Grossmont College, and now back at Hoover as the head coach.  Zac has lots of ideas and is very enthusiastic.  He reported that the team has already done a cleanup project in the weight room.

Yadira Calderon, Student Guest:  Yadira is a senior in the Hoover Health Sciences Academy.  She was nominated by her counselor, Alex Ayala, to speak to the news about her experiences at Hoover.  She was interviewed on the local PBS television station and NPR radio, and says she wanted to represent Hoover in a positive way.  She has been involved in the community by helping at Rady’s Urgent Care and La Maestra, and was a summer intern at UCSD.  She has applied to 3 schools, and wants to go to SDSU to major in Biology, Public Health and Natural Sciences.  Steve let her know that the Alumni Organization gives out scholarships and recommended that she apply.

Chairman’s Report:  1) Steve introduced our newest member, Carol Hartsen Jensen (’61).  Carol was a Junior Golf State Champion twice and golfed as a pro.  She told us about herself and family history of Hoover grads.  She is interested in helping with the Memory Garden database.  Welcome, Carol.  2) Steve discussed our need to recruit younger members.  We possibly have two from 2008 and 2011 that are interested in joining the Board.

Minutes:  Eric moved that the minutes of the last meeting held January 17, 2019 be approved as written; Marcia seconded the motion.  All in favor, the motion passed.

Website:  1) Margie is still working on adding e-commerce/PayPal to our website and bought more security so that everything would be encrypted.  She is continuing to work with GoDaddy and PayPal in order to customize for membership and golf payments.

Membership Report:  1) Marcia reported that we have 3 new annual members, 2 annual renewals, and 1 really delinquent upgrade to life membership.  She also did a complete audit that cleaned up the membership rolls and listed current members by class year.

Yearbook Sales:  1) Eric reported that sales are slow right now, but he did sell one yearbook last month, for a total of 103 since we started yearbook sales. Steve suggested putting a blurb in the newsletter regarding yearbook sales.   2)  Discussion on yearbooks located in Room 703; Eric was able to get access to the room last month after the meeting.

Walk of Champions / Merchandise sales:  1) John discussed the white staining on the walkway bricks, thinks it is a lime bloom, and hopes it is not an ongoing problem.  Discussion.  2)  Date set for bricks to be installed.  John gave local purchasers their choice of placement – showed photos of new bricks/owners.  Discussion had on putting a colored photo of brick on order form.   3)  Three benches still need to be installed.  John will address with new custodian.

Golf Tournament:   Monica reported that the golf committee would be holding a meeting today following the Board meeting.  Discussion.

Newsletter Update:  Newsletter goes out in April.  Margie showed a mockup of what she has so far.  She needs input by March 14th meeting so proofers can do a final edit.

Old Business:  1) All of the Ted Williams memorabilia items we loaned out to the California Museum have been returned safe and sound, along with a thank-you letter from the museum.  2)  Alumni Night at the varsity basketball game was a great success.  There was a full house and an alumni banner.  Hoover won on a 30-foot shot with 36 seconds left.

New Business:  1) If anyone hears of upcoming reunions, please pass that information along to the Board.

2)  There will be an alumni baseball game in the Spring.  The date is to be determined.

Next Meeting:  Next meeting will be held March 14, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.

Adjournment:  Meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.

————————————————————————————————-

Hoover Alumni Organization

Minutes of the meeting held Thursday, January 17, 2019

Call to order: Meeting called to order at 10:09 a.m.

Members Present:  Steve Barclay, Chairman; Nancy Nordell, Vice-Chair; Glynnis Aguirre, Secretary; Margie Reynolds; Marcia Kern; Lois Draper; Chuck Diepholz; Monica Belandres-Root; Lil Baehr; John Adkins; Mark Strauss; Larry Hall; Eric Wong; Ed Balinger; Tawnya Pringle, Counselor; Principal Babineau.

Chairman’s Report:  1) Steve shared a book written by Dr. Nate Landis, “God Wants His Kids Back” and a U-T article about sports writer Jerry Magee passing away at age 90.  2) He hopes that Lizbeth Pastenes, c/o 2008 will be joining the Board and help us connect with younger alumni.

Scholarship Report:  Tawnya Pringle came to update us on scholarships.  1) We have 30 unclaimed scholarships from last year; she is working on contacting students.  We discussed reasons students are not picking up their scholarships and the possibility of texting recipients a reminder to pick up and/or remind them at graduation practice.  After Feb. 28th the funds will no longer be available to them and will go back to the Alumni Organization.  2) Larry added that the Foundation will no longer designate a specific number of scholarships for each academy; they will wait for applications, then designate scholarships accordingly.        3) The application schedule has been moved up one month; Discussion on tightening up the process and how State program funding community college tuition may impact scholarship levels.  4)  Tawnya added, to be considered, students will need to attach proof they’ve enrolled and proof they have completed their FAFSA.  5)  This year the levels will increase to $25,000 for both the Organization and Foundation, with additional special scholarships added on top of that amount.  6)  Scholarship interviews will be held April 29 & 30; room has been reserved.  Lois reminded us we need Board member volunteers for interviews.  7) Scholarship Awards Night is May 30th at 5:30; be there by 5:15 p.m.

Vice-Chair Report:  Nancy reported that c/o ’79 asked to borrow reunion startup money; their request was denied.  Many years ago startup funds were loaned, but hasn’t been the practice for quite some time.  HAO monies are for scholarships and school-specific support. 

Minutes:  Chuck moved that the minutes of the last meeting held December 13, 2018 be approved as written; John seconded the motion.  All in favor, the motion passed. 

Financial Report:   1) Larry gave a recap of 2018 finances; We took in $3,935 in dues, $884.16 in yearbook sales, $1,910.85 in merchandise sales, $2,600 in brick/bench sales.  Discussion on costs – benches and bricks are most profitable for us.  Golf  tournament not included in above number; these numbers are for tax filing.  We will pay the State $199 for sales taxes collected for 2018.  2)  Steve added that finances should improve this year due to reduced costs.

Website:  1) Margie looking into e-commerce for website.  Going through PayPal, we need to use separate email address – Marcia’s for membership and Monica’s for golf tourney; then transfers to Foundation account can be done on regular basis.  Discussion.  Margie will customize; she and Larry will discuss particulars. 

Newsletter:  1) Newsletter to go out in April.  Discussed what will be included – golf tourney, construction update, etc.  Margie showed mockup of what she has so far.

Walk of Champions / Merchandise sales:  1) John discussed the white staining on the walkway bricks;  still looking into it.  2)  More bricks coming in; we have enough now to install.  Discussion on placement.    3)  John attempted to build brackets for Goodall sign, but was unable to.  We need a professional to do this.  4) No merchandise sales – no events held.  Steve gave event dates where merchandise can be sold.

Sports Update:  1) Ed reported there will be an Alumni Night at the boys varsity basketball game January 25th at 7pm vs. Madison.  There will be special seating for alumni.  2)  Steve wants to make some connection with the alumni baseball game that is held in the spring.  3)  Jason reported that the search for a new football coach is underway.  Interviews will be held next week.  Discussion on how the interview process will work. Steve suggested a blurb be included in the newsletter and on the website.

Yearbook Sales:  1) Eric reported he sold 2 more yearbooks (2005 & 1985).  Since we started, he has sold 102 books and made a little over $3,000.  2)  Discussion about current location of excess yearbooks and trophies in Room 703, and lack of access due to lock being changed.  Jason said the lock was changed to protect what is up there, due to classroom below, but we can have access any time.  Larry would like to get a key after the meeting so he and Eric can check on what is up there.

Construction Update:  Principal Babineau reported that the contractor is working quickly and is on schedule.  They are hoping to be done in Spring of 2020, then the furnishings/interior work will begin.  We are on track for Fall 2020 opening.  Eric asked if a time capsule will be put in new building.  Jason says yes.

Principal’s Report:   1) Jason reported on a student incentive program.  Our student math scores are not where they should be. The Foundation gave $1,000 to help incentivize students to attend after school/Saturday math instruction; for doing so, they can receive Hoover bucks to use at the student store Monica asked if snacks will be provided, as that could help get the kids to attend.  Jason felt that was a good idea.  Teachers will be doing the tutoring.  Discussion regarding reaching out to SDSU students to tutor and possible stipends for teachers. 2)  Jason reported that during the District Conference on project-based learning, Hoover was tapped to showcase two academies that presented in a Shark Tank-type environment.  People came from around the country to see what Hoover is doing.  3)  We have more AP classes than ever.  Hoover will have an info night for new AP students and parents.  Jason reminded us that Hoover applied for a NIMSI Grant and we are in year 1 of 3 of that grant.

Golf Tournament:  Monica reported that the golf committee had received a request for funds from the soccer team just a few days after the tournament.  The request was declined, as tournament finances were still being reconciled.  Discussion.  We plan to start funding some groups soon; need to finalize how the requests will be made to us.

Class POC Liaison Update:  1) Chuck is continuing to work on class contacts.  Currently 23 open class contacts, primarily from the 1990s and 2000s.  2)  Steve reported upcoming reunions for c/o 1969 & 1979.

Membership Report:  1) Marcia reported on membership database audit.  Members delinquent since 2015 have been deleted from rolls.  Reminders in newsletters generated many renewals.  We have 672 members (down 137 after audit).  Marcia plans to send out reminder with front page of newsletter to those who were up for renewal in 2016 & 2017; will continue to put expiration dates on labels.  2)  Mark reported on ideas for increasing membership.  He will be working with Marcia and be in charge of recruitment.  Discussion on using incentives to boost membership; Monica handed over remaining HAO window decals from golf committee to Marcia for membership committee use.

New Business:  1) Steve & Larry will be meeting with anonymous donor regarding unspecified amount.  There is a possibility that once construction is completed and offices leave the library, those spaces could be used for a memorabilia room that would be open to the public.  Donor money could help fund that.  It is a long way off.  2)  When new buildings open in 2020, Steve would like to have a grand opening event.  We need to start brainstorming for a fundraising push to pay for this.

Next Meeting:  Nest meeting will be held February 14, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.

Adjournment:  Meeting adjourned at 12:19 p.m.E